Tuesday, June 10, 2008

iPhone 2.0 (the day after)

Yesterday Steve Jobs announced the iPhone 2.o at the 2008 WWDC in San Francisco. It comes in 3 flavors 8GB(black) and 16GB (black or white). Now it has GPS and 3G network compatibility. The back is a solid piece of plastic and the shape is concave. The biggest difference is the price, 8GB will run you $199 and the 16GB(black or white) will be $299. Other than that it is the same ol' iPhone with the 2.0 megapixel camera, phone, iPod, and internet and the best phone on the market. The new software will be available for all iPhones in July 2008.

I don't know if you picking up on my attitude towards the iPhone 2.0, but I have been thinking about this since it was announced yesterday. Two days ago I was ready to go and get in line for one thinking they would be released after the announcement. That being said after the announcement was over was the first moment that it hit me, I was all hyped up and my bubble burst. Then I saw that the base model was only 8GB, that was strike # 2 for me. I thought they would have a 16GB and 32GB model. Then since I have video recording capability on my iPhone 1.0(jailbreaked) I thought that the new one would add this feature since most of the rumors sites were thinking the same.

Here is what I came up with this morning getting ready. When the SDK comes out there will probably be software for a video camera, cost $10+, camera software with zoom, cost $10+, GPS turn by turn software, cost $10+, cut and paste software, cost $10+, and the list goes on and on. That is the reason why the phone is cheaper now, but after all of those micro purchases Apple will be making money. It makes sense, if Apple made the iPhone with every feature you would ever want, then there would be no reason for the SDK, but what base features I asked for are reasonable in my opinion. My laptop has most of those features I ask for, and if I want any other software that is up to me and I am OK with that.

To finish this out, all I wanted (Steve) was an iPhone 2.0 with 16-32GB, video camera, cut and paste, 5.0 megapixel camera and that is all. If the new phone even had 3 out the 4 items I wished for you would have a definite sell from me. If I was a first time iPhone user on the other hand, it would definitely a must buy since it looks really cool.

PS. This is how I feel today, but when the new phone comes out and I see one for myself, I could change my mind.

2 comments:

Daniel Ray said...

I hope you don't change your mind because I think, after reading this, that you are 100% right. It's not like all us early owners will be, "oh no, you're new iphone is so much cooler with a concave plastic back! oh no! it's so white!!!"

Have you seen the back of the 1st gen iphone? It's stinking beautiful.

I agree with you completely.

James Guhn said...

I agree with both of you. I'll be an iPhone 3G owner only cause it's now affordable. Other than that, it's almost the same phone.