Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Heroes Season 1 not on Blu-ray


I saw the last couple episodes of Heroes on NBC and was instantly hooked, so I decided to skip the season finale since I had missed most of the season and figured that I would watch it on DVD or better yet Blu-ray when it came out. Well, the release day is going to be August 28, 2007 and NBC Universal did what I thought they were going to do and will release it on DVD and HD-DVD (BOOOOOO). I don't really know what else to say, I am really disappointed, I really wanted to see Heroes on Blu-ray. I understand that they are the only major player that is solely tied to the HD-DVD camp, but lets get real here and sell it on both formats and see which one sells better.

4 comments:

Daniel Ray said...

Hey Ted,

you can buy a HD-DVD drive for your XBOX 360 for only $200. There's really no difference between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, it's just a corporate thing. Either way, you're gonna see Heroes at 720p and it's freakin' awesome.

Me? I'm a bittorrent guy, so I've been watching the eps at 720p for weeks.

Also,

You should check out, How I Met Your Mother, Great Show.

- dan.

James Guhn said...

Oh my goodness. Dan Ray dares to disagree with Tech-Guy-Ted regarding a video technology? I think rather than a comment to rebuke Dan, you should write an entire blog about the difference and quote Dan in your blog.

But that's just your number 1 reader talking. You do what you want.

Daniel Ray said...

Seriously, Blog, comment, whatever you want, but 720p is 720p and 1080p is something that normal people don't have the hardware to watch. I hate the Blue Ray / HDDVD dichotomoy because it's stupid and I'm in favor of standards. It's all about advertising and money period.

James Guhn said...

I'd say Dan is back-pedaling. He just admitted that 1080p is on Blu-ray. Hmm, seems like there is a difference (all Blu-ray players have the ability to produce 1080p, while not HD-DVD players (specifically the Microsoft one) have that ability. And if I'm not mistaken, 1080p is higher resolution. That would be better. That would mean Blu-ray is better.

As far as the comment about people not having the "hardware to watch" something in 1080p, well, people do or soon will have the hardware to watch shows, games, movies, etc. in 1080p as the technology becomes the standard. TV is starting to work towards all HD channels. Who doesn't want to watch something with the best picture? It's like saying, "I'm fine with my old VHS/VCR. I don't need that DVD thing." That just sounds stupid doesn't it?

I, of course, don't know anything. I'm just guessing from what is written. If I'm wrong, than so be it. Ted, please explain this to me. Is Dan right? Or are you still the correct person for me to go to regarding technology?