Thursday, December 28, 2006

R.I.P. Xbox 360


On December 19, 2006 my Xbox 360 froze when I went to play Saints Row. I just turned it off and turned it back on again. It booted up and then made this weird sound that came through the speakers and froze, so I turned it off again and on again. It gave me 3 blinking red lights. Once again I did the same thing over and over and still the same blinking red lights. I panicked and went to the support page on Xbox.com and to my surprise I saw the 3 blinking red lights at the top of the page. It told me to do all of these test and if it still didn't work to call Microsoft. I called and they had me do all of the test again. After a few minutes customer service told me that I was gonna have to send in my machine. I asked how much this will cost me and she told me that it was still under warranty. I was like OK, since when I purchased it the 360 only came with a 90 day warranty. After I sent my machine off I read that Microsoft had just extended everybody's warranty to 1 year and after a quick calculation I realized my machine was about 363 days old. Lucky for me. I hope my machine wasn't jealous of my PS3 or Wii because I don't plan on getting rid of any of them soon. I do hope it gets back to me soon, since for Christmas I got a couple of things for my 360 that just have to sit there.

12/29/06
Update: My Xbox 360 arrived at the repair center 12/28/06 and today I got an email telling me that my deck is on its way with a UPS tracking #. Either they are sending me a new machine or a refurbished box for it to ship that fast. Anyways I will be happy to have it back and it most likely will come with a new 1 year warranty.

1/4/07
Update: Got my 360 a day early and I have no time to play it, but I made time to hook it up and fire it up. I haven't put my custom face plate on yet, so it doesn't seem the same yet, but I hope that changes once I play G.O.W and Saints Row. One thing that I have noticed is that it seems louder than my original one. It could be that I am not used to it again or that I have been playing with the PS3 and Wii that are much quieter. I'm pretty sure I got a refurbished unit, since it has a manufacture date of April 2006, whereas my unit was November 2005. I will keep you up to date.

No comments: